By Pete Martin – Image by Andrew Palk

The long trip to Cornwall was a fruitful one for Salisbury FC as they advanced to the next round of the FA Cup with a thumping 5-0 victory over Mousehole AFC. With this being the 2nd of 2 away trips in 3 days, Brian Dutton made 2 changes to his starting lineup; Jamar Smith and Josh Hedges replacing Theo Lewis and Devon Arnold.  

For the 2nd game in succession, the Whites got off to a flying start and took the lead after just 5 minutes. Quick feet from Noah Coppin on the left saw him beat his man and put across a pinpoint ball for Tom Leggett to fire home from 6 yards out for his 1st goal for the club. Salisbury continued to pressure with Coppin in particular looking dangerous on the left and on 8 minutes he cut inside and fired a low shot which was blocked for a corner, before 3 minutes later he doubled the lead. Mousehole attempted to play the ball out from the back, but a stray pass was seized upon by Coppin who calmly slotted it into the back of the net from just inside the area.   

With the Whites firmly in control of the game it took the home side until 26 minutes for their first real sight of goal, Hayden Turner flicking the ball narrowly wide of the goal when it was crossed into him from the left. 2 minutes later Salisbury had a golden chance for a 3rd goal, but Coppin could only put the ball over the bar from close range when Hedges got away down the right and put a fine ball into the area. Just after the half hour mark Mousehole threatened again; Turner cutting in and firing wide, whilst 3 minutes before half time at the other end Coppin saw his shot blocked following good work from Charlie Gunson as the Whites went in full value for their 2-goal lead.  

The 2nd half saw more of the same from Salisbury and they added a 3rd goal on 52 minutes. The ball was played in from the right-hand side and under heavy pressure from Dan Fitchett the ball was put into the net by a home defender. The Whites were looking completely dominant and in full control of the game and on 58 minutes Hedges dragged a shot wide when he broke into the box and then 4 minutes later Fitchett’s shot from outside the box was straight at keeper Lewis Moyle. The pressure told on 65 minutes as a 4th was added with Coppin smashing the ball home from the edge of the area for his 2nd goal of the afternoon. Mousehole were unable to trouble the White’s defence to any extent with Salisbury passing the ball nicely and looking dangerous whenever they came forward, and with 5 minutes left of the game they put the seal on a very good performance when Josh Sommerton headed home from a corner for the 5th goal.   

The Whites will find out their 3rd Qualifying Round opponents on Monday lunchtime and they are back in league action next Saturday 23rd September when they welcome Bracknell Town to the Ray Mac for a 3 pm kickoff.   

Team: Gould, Simpson, Sommerton, Smith, Jombati(Bragg), Penny, Leggett, Gunson(Squires), Hedges, Coppin(Arnold), Fitchett.  Unused Sub: McCreadie. 

Ian Pearson
September 17, 2023

Ian Pearson

Media & Website Manager