By Pete Martin

Salisbury roared to the top of the Southern League Premier Division South with a last-gasp win away at Harrow Borough. Brian Dutton made 2 changes to his side; Aaron Simpson and Charlie Gunson replacing Ryan Penny and Sam Ashton.   

It was the Whites who were the first to show; on 3 minutes Dan Fitchett cutting in and seeing his shot from the edge of the area blocked. The home side had their first sight of goal on 11 minutes, Victor Osobu shooting straight at Josh Gould from just inside the area. The game settled into a pattern of play; Salisbury much the dominant side in possession with Harrow defending resolutely. It took until 27 minutes for Salisbury to make the breakthrough, good work down the right hand side by Josh Hedges saw him deliver the ball into the box and Gunson arrived onto the ball and cleverly struck the ball into the ground and over Tyler Tobin into the back of the net. 

Harrow responded and a quick throw-in saw Theophilus Ofori fire a shot wide before the Whites should have doubled their lead on 31 minutes. More good work down the right-hand side between Simpson and Hedges saw the ball played across to Noah Coppin and after a good touch inside he could only shoot straight at Tobin. Just 1 minute later Fitchett had another glorious opportunity when the ball was loose 35 yards out and, with Tobin coming out of his goal he lobbed the ball over him but it bounced narrowly wide of the goal. 2 minutes later they were made to pay as Harrow grabbed an equaliser. A long ball down the middle from Tobin was allowed to bounce and Reece Mitchell nipped in to cooly finish beyond Gould. On 36 minutes another good chance for Coppin was smashed wide but 5 minutes later he got his goal. Jamar Smith fed him the ball and he cut inside and from the angle of the box he curled the ball into the far corner via the inside of the post. On the stroke of half time Harrow’s Barsa Mirtahmasebi glanced a header wide of the post and the Whites went in at half time with a deserved lead.   

The 2nd half started as most of the 1st had been; Salisbury on the attack and on 48 minutes Gunson curled a free kick narrowly wide of the upright before on 61 minutes Coppin curled in another shot that glanced the crossbar before going over the top. Harrow were starting to see a lot more of the ball, getting a foothold in midfield although unable to fashion anything to trouble Gould. On 74 minutes the Whites came close to a 3rd, Aaron McCreadie drawing a good low save from Tobin when he cleverly flicked the ball goalwards after the ball was recycled from a corner.     

#On 83 minutes Salisbury were made to pay for not taking their chances as Harrow grabbed an equaliser. A free kick was played into Osobu and following a couple of touches he slotted the ball past Gould and into the back of the net. As the game entered its dying stages, the Whites pushed for a winner; Hedges curling a free kick just wide on 89 minutes before deep into time added on they snatched all 3 points when Simpson swung in a free kick from the right hand side, and Tom Leggett glanced home a near post header to send Salisbury to the summit of the league.  

The Whites are back at home next Saturday, 11th November when they entertain Hayes and Yeading at the Ray Mac for a 3pm kickoff.   

Team: Gould, Simpson, Smith, Jombati, Bragg, Leggett, McCreadie, Gunson(Robinson), Hedges, Coppin(Penny), Fitchett(Ashton) Unused Subs: Osei, Lewis

Ian Pearson
November 4, 2023

Ian Pearson

Media & Website Manager